CWI announces West Indies Men’s Central Contracts for 2021-2022 Season
St. John’s, Antigua - Cricket West Indies (CWI) confirmed the international retainer contracts for the West Indies Men’s Team for the 2021-2022 season. A total of 18 players have offered contracts for the upcoming 2021-22 season which runs from July 1, 2021 to June 30, 2022.
For the first time Nkrumah Bonner, Joshua Da Silva, Akeal Hosein and Kyle Mayers have been awarded International retainer contracts, whilst newly appointed Test captain Kraigg Brathwaite and Darren Bravo receive International contracts for red ball and white ball cricket respectively.
West Indies Men’s Team Lead Selector, Roger Harper said,
“Contracts offered for the 2021-22 period sees 18 players being retained, a decrease of 4 from last year. Jason Holder is the only player to retain his all-format contract due to his strong Test and T20I performances during the evaluation period.”
Mr. Harper added,
“There are several new players offered red ball contracts earned by their strong performances during the last period. A number of players were not retained because they did not meet the minimum requirements.”
CWI Director of Cricket, Jimmy Adams said,
“I am happy for all the players who have been offered retainer contracts for the upcoming period. Especially pleasing was the number of players who were awarded first time contracts in recognition of their performances during the period under review. I know that the eleven players who have lost their International retainers will be striving and fighting hard to get back into the teams and earn their central contracts back next year.
These players, along with our T20 specialists, will ensure that we have genuine competition for places that will push everyone to attain higher standards of performance.”
The evaluation period for the 2021-22 contracts covered performances and statistics from April 1, 2020 to April 1, 2021 (this was also supported by statistics from the previous 2019-2020 evaluation period). This allows for all players to be appraised immediately after the evaluation period and provides a notice period before new contracts on the July 1, 2021.
WEST INDIES MEN INTERNATIONAL RETAINER CONTRACTS 2021-2022
- All-Format Contracts: Jason Holder.
- Red Ball Contracts: Kraigg Brathwaite, Jermaine Blackwood, Nkrumah Bonner*, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva*, Shannon Gabriel, Kyle Mayers* and Kemar Roach.
- White Ball Contracts: Kieron Pollard, Fabien Allen, Darren Bravo, Shai Hope, Akeal Hosein*, Evin Lewis, Alzarri Joseph, Nicholas Pooran and Hayden Walsh Jr.
*Players offered contracts for the first time in 2021-2022
Players who are no longer receiving international retainer contracts are:
- All Format Contracts: Roston Chase.
- Red Ball Contracts: Shamarh Brooks and Shane Dowrich.
- White Ball Contracts: Sunil Ambris, Sheldon Cottrell, Shimron Hetmyer, Brandon King, Keemo Paul, Rovman Powell, Romario Shepherd and Oshane Thomas.
All players who are no longer on International retainer contracts are offered an A* grade Regional Franchise Contract for the following year.
Notes to Editors:
- CWI invests in the long-term development of cricketers at both international and regional level by retaining 108 male players on retainer contracts each year as part of the professional cricket system.
- Following the announcement of International Retainer Contracts, the six Regional Franchises will now complete the process of awarding their fifteen contracts, with the Professional Franchise Player Draft due to take place on Tuesday 25 May 2021 at 3pm ECT /2pm Jamaica.