Rising Stars U19s settle in and ready for Sri Lanka Tour
The members of the West Indies Rising Stars Men’s Under 19s team arrived in Sri Lanka and have hit the ground running. The squad reached Colombo on Tuesday and had their first training session on Wednesday morning at the Colts Cricket Club.
They will have another training session on Thursday before the 50-over warm-up match at the same venue on Friday morning. This match will be against a local team and will start at 10am (1:30am Eastern Caribbean/12:30am Jamaica).
Head Coach Rohan Nurse said things have gone smoothly and the team is looking ahead to the upcoming series against Sri Lanka Under-19s – which will feature three Youth ODIs (50 overs) and two Youth Tests (four-day) at the Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium.
“Based on how well the players responded to today’s session we will raise the intensity and volume of work in tomorrow’s session as we prepare for the warm-up match,” Nurse said. “The warm-up game will be used as an opportunity to get all the players involved and allow them to spend time in the middle in all aspects of the game.”
“Given the volume and length of travel the squad had undertaken today's session was tailored towards re-establishing mobility with the trainer. In addition, we focused on getting them familiar with the conditions through fielding drills and a short net session.”
Top-order batter Stephan Pascal will be captain for the white ball matches with Nathan Sealy, the left-arm spinner, to lead the side for two red ball matches. The next ICC Men’s U19 Cricket World Cup will be played in Sri Lanka in January and February 2024.
- Stephan Pascal (co-Captain) – right-handed bat
- Nathan Sealy (co-Captain) – left-arm spin/right-handed bat
- Jewel Andrew – right-handed bat/wicket-keeper
- Mavendra Dindyal – right-handed bat
- Joshua Dorne – right-handed bat
- Nathan Edward – left-handed bat/left-arm fast
- Tarrique Edward – right-handed bat/right-arm off-spin
- Reon Edwards – left-arm fast
- Deshawn James – right-arm fast
- Jordan Johnson – left-handed bat
- Devonie Joseph – left-handed bat/wicket-keeper
- Tamarie Redwood – right-arm leg-spin
- Isai Thorne – right-arm fast
- Steve Wedderburn – left-handed bat
- Adrian Weir – right-handed bat
25 August: 50-over warm-up match at Colts Cricket Club, Colombo
27 August: 1st Youth ODI at Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium
30 August: 2nd Youth ODI at Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium
1 September: 3rd Youth ODI at Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium
5-8 September: 1st Youth Test at Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium
12-15 September: 2nd Youth Test at Rangiri Dambulla International Cricket Stadium