Retainer boost for Adrian Barath
Port of Spain, Trinidad - Rookie West Indies opener Adrian Barath says his new central retainer contract will be a boon for his game, allowing him to devote his full attention to playing for the regional side.
The 20-year-old Barath was one of six new players offered retainer contracts by the West Indies Cricket Board on Tuesday for the period October 1, 2010 to September 30, 2011.
"I am very happy with the fact that the board has given me a retainer contract. This is a great ease up for me and gives me the financial security that I need at this stage of my career," the right-hander said.
"Now, I can concentrate fully on representing the West Indies and doing my part to get us back to the top of world cricket.
"By getting this contract, what it tells me is that I am now a professional cricketer and it is like working on cricket everyday from now on."
Barath burst on to the international scene at 19 years old with a dashing century on debut against Australia Down Under last December, announcing himself as the leading candidate to partner captain Chris Gayle at the top of the order.
However, he played just one more Test before falling prey to injury which also caused him to miss the entire South Africa series in the Caribbean earlier this year.
Barath, one of the region's most promising batsmen, said the Board's move had strengthened his resolve to work harder as a cricketer.
"This is now my full-time work, having just come out of secondary school and I am very grateful for it," he explained.