Jurgensen laments match cancellation
DHAKA, Bangladesh – Bangladesh interim head coach Shane Jurgensen has rued the cancellation of the tour match against touring West Indies.
The two-day match, scheduled to start in Savar on Friday, was abandoned on Thursday after the BKSP Ground remained unfit for play following recent heavy rains.
Officials had already reduced the match from a three-day affair because of the wet outfield.
“It’s a shame that we could not get on with the practice game for the last two days but for next four days we will be preparing well,” said Jurgensen.
The Australian has taken over the side after regular head coach Richard Pybus stepped down recently.
Several players named in the 14-man squad for the first Test had been included in the XI for the tour match.
With the cancellation, players from both sides will head into the first Test in Mirpur starting Tuesday without match practice.
Jurgensen, however, remained upbeat about his side’s chances, pointing to the inclusion of uncapped off-spinner Shohag Gazi as a bright spot.
“There are six left-handers in the West Indies squad and I believe we needed someone who can turn the ball away from them,” said Jurgensen.
“The first time I saw him bowling against us for a couple of times and I knew he was a very good prospect and talented.”