Jurgensen is interim Bangladesh coach
 

DHAKA, BANGLADESH - Shane Jurgensen has been made the interim Bangladesh coach for next month's series against West Indies, the BCB announced on Wednesday.

The bowling coach will take over the position vacated by Richard Pybus who notified the board of his unwillingness to continue over differences with the board pertaining to his contract and alleged interference in team matters.

The board has refuted Pybus' allegations and has asked its head of cricket operations for a detailed clarification statement by November 1.

"Richard Pybus, through his agent, informed us on Monday that he will not be returning to Bangladesh," Nazmul Hassan said after conducting his first meeting as BCB president. "Bowling coach Shane Jurgensen will take up the responsibility of the head coach for the upcoming West Indies series, but we will advertise for the newly vacant position soon."

Pybus told ESPNcricinfo that he will not be continuing as Bangladesh coach after a major fall-out with the BCB regarding his contract which he ultimately never signed.

He also made allegations of interference by board directors as well as being constrained by the board's cricket operations department on issues such as the Bangladesh players' diet, availability of a game-analysis system and the training programme ahead of the series against West Indies.

Hassan said the head of cricket operations, Enayet Hossain Siraj, will prepare a clarification document which will be presented to the board on November 1.

"I have seen the Cricinfo interview where he has accused us of many things. We have given Enayet Hossain Siraj the responsibility to prepare a response by November 1. We will address all the allegations he's made.

He mentioned a few particular things like bringing meat from Australia. Such things can't be done overnight.

"We also have to consider whether our players will become fit after having such food for 7-10 days and having a different diet for the rest of the year. We want more in-depth information, what his complaints were."

Pybus also spoke of interference from board directors but Jalal Yunus, the BCB media committee chairman, said the former coach had complete control of the team's affairs. "We don't agree [with his accusations of interference]," Yunus said. "He had 100% control and we always lent him a hand in support.

"We just wanted him to come to the country and complete the West Indies series," Yunus said. "We preferred one-on-one negotiation in person rather than through e-mails. We have no grievances against him, but what he had asked for to be in charge of the West Indies series, we couldn't agree on principle."

Hassan said the board will learn from the mistakes made while dealing with Pybus and the next coach will be fully informed of what is expected from him.

"From what I have heard, Pybus was one of the best coaches we have had so far," Hassan said. "Maybe we were too happy about that. But without a written contract, we will face similar problems in the future. I am assuring you such things will not happen.

"We want a full-time coach, not someone who would be with us only during matches and leave whenever there's a break in play. Whoever we hire next, will have to be informed of all this in writing."

First Published On Cricinfo.

Date: 
Wed, 10/24/2012 - 11:18