Johnson - Guyana Super50 chances good
Kaieteur News article.
Georgetown, Guyana - Manager of the Guyana team, Alvin Johnson, believes that his side has a very good chance of winning the Regional Super50 tournament which commences in Trinidad and Tobago on January 30.
Speaking with Kaieteur Sport yesterday during the team’s practice session at the Everest Cricket Club Johnson said that the team should be a well balanced one. “The selectors are yet to name the final fourteen man squad, but take into consideration the players that are available to us, we have a good chance of going all the way once the guys play to their full potential,” added Johnson.
Johnson hopes that the weather will allow the players get in much valuable practice. “Our sessions have been affected by the inclement weather, but a number of matches are on the cards and we are hoping that the players will get a first hand experience of what they are preparing for,” he said.
Johnson a former headmaster feels the batting is strong. “With the likes of the experienced Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Deonarine, Barnwell and Johnson we have firepower to set and chase huge totals.
When quizzed about the bowling, Johnson stated that pacer Ronsford Beaton is a boost. “Beaton created lots of expectations last year and it should be exciting to see him in the 50 overs format. However, Permaul and Bishoo are expected to lead us in this department since the pitches in Trinidad and Tobago are most likely to favour spin, and with back up from Deonarine we are capable of restricting oppositions,” informed Johnson.
Guyana, Jamaica, Ireland and Windward Islands are in the same group and Guyana’s first match will be against Ireland. However, the manager explained that their first aim is to get to the semis.
“We always do well in limited overs cricket, we will take one game at a time, our first aim is to get to the final four and take it from there. I must commend the chairman of selectors Rayon Griffith for his input, he has been involved in all aspects of our preparation so far and is getting a good look at the players as well,” he said.
Johnson who is a former president of the Essequibo Cricket Board is somewhat concerned about the fitness of the players. “Some of the players joined the camp not being fully fit so we have to put in extra work which sometimes results in injuries and burn outs.
This also hampers our preparation in terms of cricketing skills. Nevertheless, the guys are pushing themselves and are getting where we want them to be,” stated Johnson.
The first phase of the team preparation commenced in December with 36 players but it has been narrowed down to 26 for the second stage which started from January 3 and will run until the 25th by which time the selectors should arrive at the final fourteen. Guyana last tasted success at this level in 2005.