Crooks' ton leads STETHS past Eltham

Jamaica Observer article.

Kingston, Jamaica - STETHS moved into the Inter-secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/Digicel Twenty20 semi-finals with an emphatic 110-run win over Eltham High at Up Park Camp yesterday.

It was the second win for STETHS on the trot that gave them their semi-final spot, while the defeat for Eltham forces them to strive for victory against St Jago in their remaining fixture in order to secure a semi-final berth.

Batting first against Eltham in the feature match, STETHS posted a challenging total of 185 for four in their 20 overs stay at the crease and then returned afterwards to bundle Eltham out for a paltry 75 with Kevon Williams claiming 5-19 from four overs and Roshane Mannings two for 10 from two overs.

STETHS began their innings disastrously, losing opener Odane McCatty for a first ball duck. This brought hard-hitting one down batsman Shahid Crooks to the wicket and he wasted little time in settling in to repair the early damage with some lusty hitting.

Fifty-six balls later Crooks was eventually out, caught in the deep, but not before he had smashed 11 sixes and four fours in a belligerent knock of 106 that paced the way for a comprehensive win for his team. Opener Jevoy Spence, who held up one end while Crooks charted the course for success, contributed the second top score of 28, spiced by three fours.

Shane Cole and Ramaine Francis with two wickets each were Eltham's most successful bowlers.

It was a performance that would have pleased every coach, so said STETHS's coach Clive Legister: "I thought our guys, they played some very good cricket today (yesterday) as when we batted, we batted extremely well. The youngster Shahid Crooks, I thought he was positive in his approach and that was one of the things that set up the game for us. Once we were past 140 runs on the board we were in our comfort zone."

Commenting on his bowling, Legister said: "I thought that all our bowlers with the exception of Ramal Lewis bowled well. I thought we bowled in the channels. Captain Lewis had good control over his field placings and the opening bowler Marqueno Mellie bowled in the right areas and as a result of that we were able to keep Eltham under constant pressure."

Oral Simpson, the Eltham coach, though disappointed with the result, said he is not one to lay blame. "It is only that I thought we could have bowled a bit better and when it was our turn at the crease we were just not patient enough. They played too many rash strokes and I thought that was what made the difference between the teams.

"Despite the defeat we still have a chance of reaching the semi-final. But we have to play well against St Jago in our final game."

Meanwhile, in the second match of the day's double-header engagement, Wolmer's surprised Manchester to set up what could turn out to be a three-way tie for a semi-final spot should they beat Excelsior in their remaining game and Manchester defeat Vere Technical, who like STETHS have already qualified for the semi-final by winning two matches.

Facing a gettable score of 108 posted by Manchester, who batted first, Wolmer's plundered the Manchester bowling during their turn at the crease by scoring 113 for 4 with three overs remaining.

Sadique Henry top scored with 53 batting at three, while skipper Denniel Griffiths, on three, and Malik Thompson, on 13, remained not out.

Earlier, during the Manchester innings, Griffiths, bowling from the northern end of the ground, claimed a hat-trick in the game in the third over to help stymie Manchester's progress. Griffiths ended with three for 19 from his four overs, while Suwayne Morrison harnessed two for 18 from his four overs.

Zidan Copeland top scored for Manchester with 25 from 28 balls that included a six, while there were other useful scores from Tashane McDaniel, 18, with a six from 25 balls, and Lorenzo McDonald, 17 from 16 balls.

First Published In The Jamaica Observer.

Sun, 05/11/2014 - 05:43