Best looks forward to England chance
Bridgetown, Barbados – Tino Best had a spring in his step as he prepared to join the West Indies team on their tour of England.
The 30-year-old fast bowler left on Tuesday to join the squad as an injury replacement for Shannon Gabriel, who has returned home to Trinidad & Tobago, after suffering a back injury during his Test debut at Lord’s earlier this week.
Best had been named in the West Indies A-Team to face India-A next month, but was switched to the Test squad when Gabriel was forced to pull out.
He was recently a member of the West Indies limited-overs squad for the Digicel 2012 Series against Australia earlier this year – but did not play.
“I’m very happy to be recalled to the Test squad for the series in England,” said Best. “I’ve been waiting for my opportunity to represent the West Indies again and this is another chance to wear the maroon cap.
“I’m fit and feeling quite ready. I’ve been training and working hard, looking forward to this.
“I was in the team earlier this year when we played against Australia and I gained a lot of knowledge from being in the group. I felt I fitted in quite well and I have a good idea of the work ethic and what will be required of me.”
Best is familiar with conditions in England. He was a member of the West Indies team on the 2004 tour and last year had a stint with Yorkshire in the English County Championship.
“What I have to do, and what I am fully aware of is how to put that knowledge to work,” said Best. “I’m a hard worker and I’m really delighted to get this opportunity.
Best made his debut for West Indies back nine years ago. He has so far played 14 Test matches and 12 One-Day Internationals.